Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Want to Know What Love Is...

...I want you to show me."  Go a head, NAME THE ARTIST
I remember the first time I took the "Five Love Languages" quiz.  I just knew that mine was WORDS OF AFFIRMATION.  And after calculating the results, I was right.  Or at least I made myself right, ya know?   Here's the problem.  At the time I didn't have a boyfriend or husband to share this with and I didn't really know what to do with my new-found knowledge.

Flash forward to this year.  Ryan and I took this quiz in our small group and low and behold, my love language is QUALITY TIME!  Can you believe it?  It's amazing what you can learn when you're truly honest with yourself.  My secondary love language is ACTS OF SERVICE.  You'd think I would have know this years ago because:
  1. I love making dinner dates, coffee dates, play dates with friends.
  2. Hosting and planning events and parties is one of my favorite things to do.
  3. I always wanted something to do with ALL my friends EVERY night of the week.
  4. I like to make up excuses and reasons to visit people from out of town or have them come to me.
  5. I tend to cry if plans get ruined and I miss an opportunity to see someone I love (i.e. my canceled trip to Houston in the Spring).
Ryan knows QT is my love language and goes out of his way to speak it on a daily basis.  He is PURPOSEFUL in his pursuit of showing me love.  I really do have a great husband.  I have to daily work at speaking Ryan's language (PHYSICAL TOUCH) because it's so NOT me.    

Have you taken the Five Love Language quiz?  If so, what is the language you speak?

If it's been a while since you have taken the quiz, you might want to take it again.  You never know what you'll learn about yourself.  If you've never taken the quiz, go buy the book and do it (at any bookstore or by clicking on the picture above).  I promise you won't be disappointed.  Contrary to what I initially thought, love languages are for more than just husbands and wives.  My prayer is that the Lord reveals the Twins' love language to me so I might fill their "love tank."  By the way, the fifth love language is RECEIVING GIFTS and the artist for the song above is FOREIGNER

1 comment:

Angela Robinson said...

So funny that you brought this up today. I just took the test last week and convinced my sister to take it yesterday.

My Love Language surprised me too. It wound up being physical touch--which I never would have guessed because I am SO not a hugger. However, I think that since becoming a mother, I have become much more "touchy feely" with those close to me, such as the kids and Jason. (Rubbing their tummies when they hurt, holding their hands when they're scared, snuggling while we read bedtime stories, etc.)

My secondary was words of affirmation, no big shock there. But what did surprise me, was that Jason's top two languages were the same as mine. No wonder it's so easy to meet eachother's needs!