Monday, March 25, 2013

So...

So...Tonight I yelled at my children.  I had asked them to get ready for bed and on about the 5th time I had HAD IT.  So...I yelled at them.  It wasn't good.  I immediately regretted.  I did apologize, but the damage was done.

The truth is I get extremely frustrated when my children are disobedient, whether it be disobedient to me or another adult.  Part of it growing up in the south, where respecting your elders is not an option.  Another part is my own insecurity of needing to be perceived as a "good" mom.  Regardless of my reasons, yelling at my children in my frustration is a vice for me that I MUST fix.  Here's why...
  1. Perfection is unattainable and expecting perfection out of my kids is setting them up for disappointment. 
  2. They are ONLY 5-years-old and 2-years-old.  
  3. They still depend on me for their emotional security.  By yelling at them, I am actually making them emotionally insecure.
  4. I am their example of LOVE and yelling at them is giving them a false idea of how to show someone you love them.
  5. My children are a precious blessing!
I share this with the blogging world because I need your help to keep me accountable.  If I start to lose my cool, please remind me of this...



2 comments:

cc3m1 said...

Quit beating yourself up. Your a GREAT mom. Ive had boys. Still do. Sometimes they 'wont' listen until you yell. Then they look at you like you've lost your mind. And basically you have, but its their fault. They like that button. They act like they dont, but they do. And im sorry to tell you, but they dont grow out of it. So be strong, toughen up, it's gonna be a long ride!!
Love you bunches! Marka

Ryan and Deminy... said...

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!