Monday, May 14, 2012

I Survived High School

I have a friend from high school who is competing in the Iron Man next weekend. I was leaving her a comment tonight on Facebook and it got me thinking about high school. To top this off, I discovered this week that one of my Pre-K moms and I graduated from the same high school, about 5 years apart. This has left me extremely nostalgic of my high school days. Now, I was not part of the "popular" crowd, although I had a few friends who would qualify as such. I was in choir, played a little softball and took an unhealthy amount of AP classes. I was a good-girl, I didn't party much. I went to church. But all these things together did not make for a great high school experience. The thing that got me through high school was a group of girls who were my family for 4 years. We did everything together. We fought like sister, made-up, and moved on. We drove down Cole Lane at ridiculous speeds, took long walks stalking boys we liked, made up scavenger hunts at a drop of a hat, and laughed more than any group of friends could. We planned each other's weddings and named our future kids. Since then, most of us have scattered here, there and everywhere. Some I haven't even spoken to in a decade. But, that's ok. Because for a snapshot of my life they were there. For that moment it was as perfect as it could be. And because of them, I can honestly say I survived high school fairly unscathed.

No comments: