AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
I'll be honest, I am NOT good at loving God with ALL of me...EVER! I love myself, my family, my friends, my job, my things a LOT. I love my time, my money, my gifts, and my talents a LOT.
Chapter 7 talks about being a servant to others. If you aren't careful, you will walk away from Chan's book feeling full of remorse, guilty and less of a person. How could I measure up to the likes of Abraham, Moses, or David?
YES! I know that NONE of them were perfect. But they still made it into the "hall of faith," right? Would I? I'm sure I wouldn't make it. Look at what I've done and more importantly, look at what I haven't done. Abraham at least had enough faith that he stepped up to sacrifice his own son. Would I? Moses had enough courage to take a stand and lead his people out of slavery. Would I? David chased after God. Do I?
I have to remind myself almost on an hourly basis that guilt is a SIN. It is another form of selfishness.
My encouragement to you is that God loves you and is EAGER to meet you where you are - or where you aren't. Remember that God calls us to obedience and the FIRST commandment is to LOVE GOD. I believe that when you are seeking God and obediently loving Him, he will speak to your heart and tell you how to be a servant. Sure, God may call you to sell everything and live like a pauper. If He does, OBEY HIM! I promise it will be worth it in the end. But God may also call you simply take a meal to your neighbor. If He does, OBEY HIM!I promise it will be worth it in the end. It's not about the quantity of the gift. It's not even about the quality. It's about LOVING GOD.
Here are some ways God may call you to be a servant:
- Give $$$ to a charity
- Read a book to a child
- Pray for someone NOT in your inner circle
- Help an elderly people cross the street or open a door
- Invite someone to church
- Give a hug
- Show someone that Christians can have fun too
- Give $$$ or a meal to the homeless person on the street
- Volunteer for a non-profit
- Write a letter of encouragement to someone just because
1 comment:
What a great post Deminy! Thank you so much for sharing this thoughtful post and encouragement.
Post a Comment