Ryan's Granny has been staying with for the past week, helping me unpack and watch the boys. Today we had the most incredible conversation. I'm sorry in advance if this offends anyone.
Talking about Granny's neighbor, who happens to be African-American.
Granny: "Louise is just so nice. I don't understand Jen [her life-long friend]. She is just so ugly. I tell her that's not right to treat Black people that way."
Me: "Uh, huh."
Granny: "Jen says, 'you would too if you grew up in Louisiana and they treated you that way.' I say said, 'Jen, we don't live in Louisiana. Besides, times have changed.' I mean back then there was slavery and stuff [Jen's 91, but I'm pretty sure slavery had ended by the time she was a child.] Demi, I can't believe the way they treated those people back then. It was just horrible."
Me: "Uh, huh."
***So Ryan told me the last statement might offend some people who come across the blog. I deleted it. If you're curious and would like to know what it said, ask me and I'll tell you. Sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone by putting the comments of an 84 year-old on here.
1 comment:
That's pretty much how I feel about everyone! LOL
Post a Comment