Monday, July 27, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I've been horrible at blogging these past few weeks.  I promise, I have a good excuse.  We've been busy.  Not just having-a-lot-on-a-to-do-list kind of busy, but going-out-of-town-almost-every-week-hosting-sports-camps-BUSY!  And then there's this small little detail...

WE'RE MOVING!

Here's the short version of the story:
 
Last Fall, I decided to go back to school and receive my teaching certification. The most economical route was the Alternative Certification Program through the Region XVII Education Service Center. Little did I realize, how hard finding a job would be in the Lubbock area. So, Ryan and I decided in April it was time for us to look outside the South Plains area. 
Flash forward to this summer. In June we were headed out-of-town for a little vacation and to visit my best friend's, Ally, family. As we were driving there, Ryan received a call from two private schools wanting to interview him that week. Coincidence? I don't believe in them. Sadly, neither school hired him, but God is SO good. 
A week and a half ago, the head of the Bible department of one of the schools called him (I believe it was on a Thursday) and said they had another job open up and Ryan was his first choice. He needed to talk with the Headmaster and hopefully be able to give Ryan and official offer on the following Monday.  Monday came and they offered Ryan the job. We had until last Thursday to give them a yes or no. 
Ryan and I decided it was best to go down and visit the school again, look around the area for me a job and housing options. We loaded the boys, dropped them off at my parents' house, and went on our way. This was last Tuesday. When we arrive, none of the elementary principals are back from Summer vacation. That was a bummer. Ryan met with the Headmaster, Head of the Bible Department, Athletic Director, and Head Baseball coach of the school. He walked away from that meeting more excited than I have seen him in a long time. God is SO good!
Wednesday and Thursday we looked at a few lease-option houses with our Realtor, Cousin Carol (she's not really a realtor, but plays the part well.). On Thursday, we're driving in this neighborhood looking at housing we "know" are out of price range. We see one, call on it, and sure enough, it's WAY more than we can afford. Walking back to the car, we see a "For Sale By Owner" sign in the window of a house across the street. Ryan decides to call on it, seeing if the owners would consider leasing but believing it too would be out of our price range. Ryan calls and asks Mr. P if he'd lease the house and he says "YES! [as long as he can make his mortgage payments]." Ryan asks what that would be and sure enough, too much for us! He tells Mr. P we're needing something less, thank you and (just as he was about to say "Good-bye!") Mr. P interrupts him and says, "We might be able to do that let me talk to my family and call you in the morning." At this point, we're screaming on the inside. 
The next day, Mr. P calls and says, "We can do $." Ryan says, "No, that's still a bit too much. We really need it to be $." At which Mr. P says, "We can do that!" WHAT?!?! God is SO good!
I know you're all dying to know where we're moving and where Ryan will be working. I waited to the end to tell you, so you'd read my novel of a post. 

Drumroll please...
We're moving to CONROE, TX!
Ryan will be working at The Woodlands Christian Academy!
(teaching Jr. High Bible, 2 Elementary P.E. classes, coaching Jr. High baseball & assisting the high school team.)

Here's the kicker; Ryan has to report for inservice on AUGUST 3rd! I know, right? That's a week away. Suffice to say, we're moving THIS week! Ryan's going to take the truck down on Wednesday. The twins and I are going to stay behind, have a garage sale on Saturday, attend a few birthday parties for family, and them leave next Monday. 

PRAYER REQUESTS
I still do not have a job, but have submitted my application to several districts in the area. Please pray for my job opportunities! The boys have no idea why we have boxes everywhere. Please pray for a smooth transition for the little guys! Our families - especially Ryan's - are naturally sad to see us go. Please pray that the Lord comforts them! There's no better place to cry than the arms of your father. WHEN I find a job, we'll need to put the boys in full-time daycare. They've never done this before. Please pray for God to lead us (as He's done this entire time) to the right daycare!

I think that's all for now. Wow, and to think I shortened it for you guys!

Seriously, though,  it is evident to us that God ordained this move and for that, we are at peace. If you live in the Lubbock area, we'd love to see you! Come on by our place (if you want the address, email me: deminy.highley@hotmail.com. I don't want to give our address out for all the www to see!) today or tomorrow to see Ryan. Since the twins and I will be in town for a little longer, we can schedule a time to meet later in the week, too. 

We love you guys! Thank you for loving us in return.
 

6 comments:

KK said...

How exciting! I'll be praying!

Angela Robinson said...

Exciting times! I'll be praying for the transition. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Happy for you, but jelous that you get to live in the same town as my sister!

Charissa said...

Congratulations! This sounds like our move to DFW last summer at the exact same time! I'm always excited to see how God works and blesses those who serve Him!

Jacob and Megan Lopez said...

OH My Gosh!!!! We are going to miss seing you! But we are very happy for you goodluck finding a job and keep in touch!

Danielle said...

I'm so excited that you are moving closer, but I understand the sadness of leaving family and friends. It's amazing to see the doors that God opens for us!